Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Meet Your Bloggers: Dayna Davis


I’m writing this introductory blog post with my 3-year-old niece. I asked her what she’d say about me if she was telling someone else and she said she’d tell them I’m silly. So there you go. In light of the fact that this is a blog for the Colorado Red Cross, I’ll share my Red Cross story instead of my silliness. Although I'm sure the silliness will come out soon enough.

I graduated undergrad from Colorado College and immediately went to work for WJFW, an NBC-affiliate TV station in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. In case you haven’t heard of it, Rhinelander’s a small town in Northern Wisconsin that’s known for its unusual mascot, the Hodag.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, our station did something they’d never done before: They sent two of us to Louisiana with a group of Wisconsin volunteers to cover the aftermath of the storm and highlight how local people were helping out. It was less than a week since Katrina had hit, and I toured a Red Cross warehouse that was storing food and other donations. I met Red Cross volunteers who were driving a mobile food truck around areas where not a single house was standing. I worked with a team of volunteers to cut down trees that had fallen in streets and in front yards. I ate dinners with local families who had no running water and no electricity, but were so thankful to have help that they found a way to feed us. It was much more than just a reporter’s assignment - it was a week of finding, telling and being a part of stories about the amazing resilience of the human spirit. And that was when I decided I’d become a volunteer for the American Red Cross.

I’m a Colorado native and I now work in PR and communications in Denver. I love all things Colorado, unsweetened black tea, chocolate labs, California Golden Bears football (Go Bears!), and freshly baked cookies. And nothing pleases me more than starting a brand new book.

You’ll see my posts on this blog a couple times a month. I’ll be writing mainly about preparedness – what emergencies or disasters you should prepare for and how you can prepare. If you’ve got blog post ideas, let me know. You can find me on Twitter, @daynalynndavis.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Dayna! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about preparedness. Always important in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. Can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete