Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Meet Your Bloggers: Kate Lapides

Kate (left), with her twin Karen and dog nephews Finn & Ryder

Hi All:  My name is Kate Lapides.  I’ll be writing client stories and volunteer profiles for the Red Cross.

I was born near San Francisco, but moved to Colorado at an early age and for decades, have called this beautiful state home. I’m an alpine junkie who has spent most of my free time for the past several decades running long, long miles on Colorado’s mountain trails.  In the winter and shoulder seasons, I also love to pursue a passel of other requisite mountain sports: telemark skiing, mountain biking, road cycling, and ski mountaineering.  I’m passionate about living life at altitude in small mountain towns with heart and a great civic ethic and sense of community, and as a result, have called Breckenridge home for 18 years.

For the past two years, I have worked weekdays as the Marketing Editor for Colorado Mountain College, managing social media, producing photo and video shoots, writing blog content, and project managing the college’s print collateral campaigns. On weekends, I return to my first love:  my longtime work as a freelance photographer. 

Photojournalism and writing are my passions, especially when the work involves documenting humanitarian issues abroad. I’ve been incredibly fortunate to work in Africa, Asia, Central and Latin America and the rural U.S. for clients including Save The Children, the International Rescue Committee, Resurge International, United Somali Women of Maine, and Ronald McDonald House Charities.  I also teach a children’s photography workshop at the Anderson Ranch Arts Center in Snowmass each summer, create grant-funded community photography projects for new immigrants and rural youth, and work as a regular contributing writer and photographer for Breckenridge magazine. 

My interest in volunteering as a writer for the Red Cross stems from my storytelling passion.  I love sharing stories – especially stories about people in need. The act of listening – and learning– about someone’s experience of life, and then working to capture and share that experience in compelling photographs and words with integrity is work that I love deeply.   I hope that my volunteer work with the Red Cross will offer the opportunity to engage with people at this level locally – and ultimately lead towards writing and photographing on a broader level with this incredible organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment