Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

My Red Cross Story: My Daughter Gave Me My Life



I’m alive today thanks to my 18-year-old daughter, Julia. She had planned to work out one morning in February but instead stayed home – and came downstairs to find me collapsed on the living room carpet. My heart had stopped suddenly, and I had already turned ashen white.

Julia had learned CPR through her lifeguard training, and she immediately dropped to the floor and began CPR. She took a moment to call her father on one phone line, and called 911 on the other line. Then she continued CPR until paramedics arrived. 

I was taken to the hospital and was kept in a medical coma, but on Valentine’s Day, I opened my eyes and said “I love you,” to my family.  

I’m so thankful Julia received the CPR training to become a lifeguard. I think it would be great for everyone to get trained by the Red Cross, because you never know when someone may need your help. Without that kind of lifesaving training, my story could have had a tragic outcome.

-Sharon Hastings, Fort Collins, Colorado

1 comment:

  1. Are you originally from the Levittown PA area?

    ReplyDelete