By Bill Fortune
Floods and Flash Floods are serious threats in Colorado. You should know the threats in your community and make plans that could save your life and the lives of those around you.
To help with your planning the American Red Cross has developed a mobile app that will enable you to prepare for, respond to and recover from a flood or flash flood. This app is available for iPhone and Android platforms and is useable on smartphones and tablets. The app will provide step by step instructions on what to do right before, during and after a flood even if no data connectivity is available.
• Receive an audible alert when a watch or warning for Floods or Flash Floods is issued for their monitored location.
• Let family and friends know you are safe with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
• Find open Red Cross shelters in your area.
• Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
• Learn how to assemble an emergency kit for your family.
• Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
• Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your flood knowledge with interactive quizzes.
• Know how and what to do about food and drinking water when your area has been impacted by floods and power outages.
The app is just not for those who live in a location that is prone to floods, but for friends and family members to monitor the locations of their loved ones. The Red Cross Flood app is free and available for download at www.redcross.org/mobileapps, as well as, Google Play and iTunes.